Oh No, Not in Utah
Via The Panda's Thumb comes this article from the Salt Lake Tribune. Utah may be the next battle ground in the fight over including intelligent design in school ciricula.
Continue ReadingBut the moral-crusading group Eagle Forum, which has often flexed its muscle on Utah's Capitol Hill, argues a community has a right to teach its values to its children.
Sen. Chris Buttars, R-West Jordan, plans to lead the fight for instruction of divine design in Utah public schools. He wants to defuse some of the expected controversy by avoiding the term "creationism" altogether.
Instead, he favors "divine design," sometimes called "intelligent design," which "doesn't preach religion," he said. "The only people who will be upset about this are atheists."
I was afraid this day would come. I don't understand why Sen. Buttars thinks this is needed, when a good chunk of the kids in Utah attend relgion classes, oh about-- every day. Fortunately the U of U and BYU are committed to good science, which should help to deflect some of the scorn that could come Utah's way.
It's interesting--the Discovery Institute argues that intelligent design is not about religion. They have to or else they risk losing in the courts, just like "creation science" did. Yet people like Buttars make it about religion. The ID movement just might be destroyed (legally speaking) by its own supporters.


2 comments:
I'm only suprised by how long it took. You know as well as I do the tendecy which some Mormon display towards uncritically accepting the ID movement. I especially enjoyed your remark about Mormons already attending a creationist school every day.
What I can hardly believe myself is how we have on one hand the creationists trying to avoid the issues of religion by calling it "intelligent design", carefully avoiding any kind of religious terminology, while on the other hand we have a Mormon who wants to instead call it "divine design". The creationists already tried getting THAT kind of science approved and they failed. Let's not follow their terrible example.
I agree with you concerning how long it took. I had hoped Utah would stay out of it though. Dave blogged about a Deseret News article a couple of months ago, that gave me hope.
So far it looks like only Buttars and his Eagle Forum care about this. Whether it gains momentum remains to be seen.
Post a Comment