Saturday, October 09, 2021

Anti-Vaccine Sentiment is Not Uncommon Among Chiropractors

Following my last post on anti-vaccine lies told by a chiropractor, I came across two news articles (one new, the other from last May) that highlight that chiropractors seem to be a concentrated source of vaccine mis-information, something that existed before COVID but that has become more prominent in the wake of COVID.

AP News: Anti-vaccine chiropractors rising force of misinformation
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Some Ga. chiropractors are stoking fears of COVID vaccines

Both articles state that anti-vaccine sentiment comes from a minority of chiropractors, but they seem to have outsized influence. How much of a minority? It's hard to say, but the AP News article offers this:

AP could find no national numbers of vaccination rates among chiropractors, but Oregon tracks vaccine uptake among all licensed health providers, and the numbers show chiropractors and their assistants are by far the least likely to be vaccinated -- and far less than the general public.

Just 58% of licensed chiropractors and 55% of chiropractic assistants in Oregon were vaccinated as of Sept. 5. That’s compared to 96% of dentists, 92% of MDs, 83% of registered nurses, 68% of naturopathic physicians, and 75% of the general public.
Of course, mainstream medicine has its share of quacks and hucksters, and although I have never sought treatment from a chiropractor, I am willing to believe that most of them provide useful medical services [1] in the vein of physical therapy. The problem is that pseudoscience is baked into the history, philosophy, and sometimes the training of chiropractic. The AJC article is particularly interesting here because the largest chiropractic school, Life University, is in Georgia and it is still rooted in outdated 19th century medical ideas.
Such beliefs trace back to the founder of chiropractic, D.D. Palmer, who postulated in the late 19th century that most diseases and maladies are caused by spinal or joint misalignments, and therefore chiropractic adjustments can boost immunity.

Life University still embraces this concept of “vertebral subluxation,” though there is no scientific basis for it. During the height of the pandemic, the school’s guidance for faculty and students on how to prevent getting coronavirus included, “Get your spine checked and adjusted regularly to ensure your nerve system is able to optimally adapt to these external stressors.”
This is such unadulterated horse crap. The notion that an adjusted spine could protect you from contracting COVID is just as stupid as if I were to tell you that the COVID vaccine can protect you from getting a herniated disc. The problem here is that if your beliefs about health are wrapped around notions of mystical energies and "natural healing," then your diagnoses and treatments are going to be primarily concerned with unlocking said mystical energies [2] and promoting "natural healing". But healthy living, good nutrition, and great posture can only take you so far [3].

And yet, graduates of Life University who absorb these views are seen as doctors (with accompanying authority) in the eyes of the public, which is reinforced by their licensure by the state. This in spite of the fact that they are not licensed to prescribe drugs or perform surgeries. In Georgia, they aren't allowed to puncture the skin, so they presumably couldn't offer vaccination even if they wanted to.

Look, I'm not trying to demean any chiropractors out there in my readership, or their friends and loved ones. If they provide genuinely useful treatments to people and stick to their sphere of training and licensure, then God bless them. But the public should know that a chiropractor's sphere of medical authority is rather narrow, and the opinions of chiropractors on vaccines should hold commensurate weight.

Notes:
1. Some patients may also find social/psychological benefit from their visits.
2. An old chiropractor I knew once said that he had to understand quantum mechanics for his job. I was too dumbfounded and incredulous to ask questions.
3. As an extreme example, rabies virus travels up the peripheral nerves to the central nervous system. Once there, it is virtually always fatal in humans. No vitamin juice to aid "natural healing" or spinal adjustment to optimize nerve adaptation to such an "external stressor" has changed that. Vaccination or passive antibody treatment after a bite is your only real hope.

14 comments:

Anonymous,  10/09/2021 04:43:00 PM  

I've always thought that chiropractic should have evolved into physical therapy, and would have, if it's institutions had embraced science/evidence instead of clinging to a theory that turned out to be false. I think there are some chiropractors who do help people with PT type techniques but they are a very mixed bag. I'm a physician who never refers patients to chiropractors because I never know what they are going to do (it could be anything!). I favor physical therapy/massage therapy.

Rob,  10/09/2021 11:29:00 PM  

I'm curious if you believe the priesthood power is "mystical energies"?

What about Christ? Does he have mystical energies?

Of interest, my brother has a long back and as such he has back issues. It is interesting to me that whenever he injures his back he is more prone to get sick.

Is the Saviors healing ability horse crap by your same standard of measuring?

Rob,  10/11/2021 12:38:00 AM  

So, we now place medical experts advice above God. That's where our society is.

Jared*,  10/11/2021 06:54:00 PM  

Rob,

1. You are seeing what you want to see.

2. Health philosophies that deal in mystical energies do not equal God. Suggestions otherwise don't do God any favors.

3. I refer you to President Oak's talk, Healing the Sick, especially the opening paragraphs.

4. There is a long history of people relying exclusively on God for healing (before modern medicine there wasn't much of a choice) and it generally hasn't worked out very well. Natural processes rule this world, including the realm of health.

Rob,  10/12/2021 09:32:00 AM  

Jared,
Big tech, science, and politics are beginning to be the gods we worship. We have replaced faith with the arm of flesh. The go to move now with healing blessings are to give a blessing in one breath and then immediately in the next is to then go to the doctor and place all of your faith in them to be healed. Do the scriptures say that the arm of flesh is used to heal man? Was God lying about scriptures stating that through faith we can perform mighty miracles that modern science cannot even perform-
9 And whoso shall ask it in my name in faith, they shall cast out devils; they shall heal the sick; they shall cause the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak, and the lame to walk." (D&C 35:9)
We see less and less of these miracles amongst us because we lack faith. Instead of relying wholly upon God we have instead took our faith and placed it upon man.

So I ask again- is the power of God (His holy priesthood) horsecrap?

Jared*,  10/12/2021 06:53:00 PM  

Rob,

I'm not playing this game. My comments were about chiropractic and you are trying to twist them into something else. Moreover, while you are entitled to your opinion about the place of faith vs science and technology in healing, your complaint doesn't comport with the view of President Oaks (and Brigham Young) or, frankly, the policy on Medical and Health Care (38.7.8) in the General Handbook.

Rob,  10/13/2021 12:27:00 AM  

Jared,
I brought up the power faith healing (Priesthood power) because you don't believe in it either. I am jyst trying to connect dots- if you think Chiropratice is horse crap then I'm assuming under your samecpro-science prejudice you must categorically categorize the PH the same.
It's really a big problem in our church and around the world. As we rely more and more on science and it's secular drive we naturally put God and faith on the backburner and slowly over time miracles are done away because we have become spiritually weakened in large degree.

Anonymous,  10/13/2021 03:17:00 PM  

Interesting the chiropractic practice is so prevalent among anti-vaccine activists in Utah. Many of these believe that Russell M. Nelson is a "fallen prophet" for being so pro-mask and pro-vaccine.

Rob, you are full of it. It is completely rational to believe in both priesthood power and science-based medicine. Brigham Young did. The current First Presidency certainly does.

Rob,  10/14/2021 12:35:00 AM  

We should believe in Christ and have sufficient faith enough to believe that through God's priesthood power we can overcome a myriad of diseases including covid-19. If we have no faith to believe the PH can't heal someone with Covid, or protect them from it then we are truly in spiritual darkness.

Anonymous,  10/31/2021 02:03:00 PM  

Jared,

I really enjoy your posts. Spot on!

Anonymous,  11/12/2021 12:29:00 PM  

While I believe in both medical science and God, I've found that God's healing of the sick appears to be quite random. I've known people with great faith who have not been healed. I've also known people with not so much faith who do get healed. I know of an Apostolic blessing promising a mission president's wife that her cancer would be healed. She died shortly afterward. And I have yet to come across a credible account of a priesthood blessing ever healing a serious mental illness (say, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia). Ever. On the other hand, medical science has a pretty good track record. It is measurable and somewhat predictable. Yes, there are exceptions. There are diseases that medicine has not yet learned to deal with, but medical science progresses at a rather astonishing pace. Just look at how fast the Covid vaccines were produced and tested. We are making progress on treating cancer and other serious maladies. So, while I do believe that God will sometimes cure an illness, according to some logic or schedule I'm not privy to, I still trust science.

Anonymous,  12/07/2021 01:01:00 AM  

I think Rob is a good example of the orthodoxy that the LDS Church produces. The orthodoxy that places magical thinking above science.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP