Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Pro-Evolution Article in Interpreter

Last week the LDS journal Interpreter published a pro-evolution article, The Theory of Evolution is Compatible with Both Belief and Unbelief in a Supreme Being, by David M. Belnap. As I read the article I was waiting for the 'but' moment, but I was pleasantly surprised that it never really came. Belnap made no apologies for evolution, and even used some of his own research in constructing 3D models of viruses from 2D images to make a point that randomness, coupled with selection, and be constructive.

The article covers a lot of ground quickly, which limits its persuasive power, in my opinion. Anti-evolutionists will think he is making empty assertions. And I thought the weakest part of the essay was when he tried to show that the Genesis 1 account isn't that different from what we know from paleontology and geological history. That's not an exercise that I think is needed, because Genesis was written for a pre-scientific people. Nevertheless, I applaud his overall effort and Interpreter for publishing it.

P.S. Several days passed from when I read the article to when I looked at the comments after it. As you might expect, it was off to the races with doctrinaires and cranks sounding off. Wade into it if you wish, but I don't have time for trying to clean up that kind of garbage anymore.


2 comments:

Anonymous,  9/09/2015 07:11:00 PM  

Yeah, and the thing that's really sad about the whole thing is that it doesn't take that much imagination to square our creation narratives with evolution.

Jack

Jared* 9/09/2015 08:54:00 PM  

On one level I sympathize with people who draw a sharp distinction between the creation narratives and evolution. However, like you, I am often amazed at the lack of imagination such people bring to the issue.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP