Sunday, July 26, 2015

BYU Tears Down Another Piece of My Past (WIDB)

It seems like every time I visit my undergraduate alma mater another construction project has destroyed a building of significance to me. Most recently, the Widtsoe building (WIDB) was torn down in May/June after the new Life Sciences building was dedicated. As a microbiology major, I spent a lot of time in the WIDB (and waiting for the elevator). And since most of that time was in my junior and senior year, I also associate it with the vast career unknown that lay before me at the time.

Here's a fun memory: As part of a micro lab class we had to culture the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria in our own poop! When the time was right, I took the little cup I was given to a bathroom in the southwest corner of the sixth(?) floor and...ready, aim, fire. This was all kind of awkward, but really, would you rather culture your own poop or someone else's? I then nonchalantly (I like to think) walked over into the lab and swabbed my specimen onto agar plates. (Meanwhile, over in the Tanner building, students were learning how to make money.)

I recognize the need for the university to update facilities, but it would be nice if they could leave a few buildings more or less the same so that I can show my children and grandchildren the actual locations of my memories. 'I once cultured my own poop in a building that used to be right there' just doesn't have the same punch.

Here is a time-lapse video of the demolition of the WIDB.






4 comments:

Clark Goble 7/26/2015 10:51:00 PM  

Even some of the buildings left, like the Eyring Science Center, were gutted and internally look nothing like they did 15 years ago.

Left Field,  7/27/2015 12:31:00 AM  

I think the WIDB should have been preserved as an historical site. Won't posterity want to see the place I studied Biology?

Jared* 7/27/2015 09:47:00 PM  

The ESC looks basically how I remember it. I think its renovations must have been done before I left. However, I didn't spend much time there so I don't have any ESC stories to speak of.

John Mansfield,  7/30/2015 09:38:00 AM  

Some time back I received a phone call for donations to BYU, and I always give something, but this time it was a request to contribute to a fund for a new building to replace the Clyde building where I had my engineering classes and labs. I had to turn them down; my heart couldn't contribute to that.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP