Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Steve's Primordial Soup: An Embodied God

[This post is a continuation of a discussion (begun here) of Crawling Out of the Primordial Soup: A Step toward the Emergence of an LDS Theology Compatible with Organic Evolution" (PDF), by BYU biologist Steven Peck.]

One of our most distinctive doctrines is that God the Father has a tangible body of flesh and bone, in the form of a man. To say that man was created in God's image has literal meaning in Mormonism. The conflict with evolution on this point seems acute. After all, chance and contingency play a large role in evolution. That evolution produced us, who look like God, seems beyond coincidence. It is as if we were told that the official language of heaven has always been King James English. How can this be explained except by direct intervention? My favorite part of Steve's paper is his brief exploration of this issue. Below I summarize his discussion and extend it a little bit.

The coincidence of our physical likeness may be more likely than we might think. As Steve explains, this might be an example of convergent evolution. Given similar environmental constraints, the laws of physics, etc, it is not uncommon for independent lineages to produce similar forms. (Think of fish and dolphins.)

Another way to think about this is to ask the question, if we were to make contact with aliens, what are the chances that they would look like us--more or less? In his column in Scientific American, Michael Shermer expressed doubt that aliens would look like us. However, he quoted correspondence with Richard Dawkins as follows:

I would agree with [Shermer] in betting against aliens being bipedal primates, and I think the point is worth making, but I think he greatly overestimates the odds against. [University of Cambridge paleontologist] Simon Conway Morris, whose authority is not to be dismissed, thinks it positively likely that aliens would be, in effect, bipedal primates.
Dawkins went on to position himself between Simon Conway Morris and Michael Shermer. Simon Conway Morris is a well-known paleontologist who is also a Christian, and his views on convergent evolution have been criticized as serving the purpose of reconciling science with his faith. Nevertheless, in addition to the fossil record, the quote from Dawkins shows that there is a secular case to be made for such a convergence.

Now let's look at the other side of the equation--God's body. At first appearance, this would seem to be a non-negotiable topic. However, at this point Steve draws on an interesting paper, Divine Embodiment and Transcendence: Propaedeutic Thoughts and Questions, by BYU philosopher, and Richard L. Evans Chair of Religious Understanding, James E. Faulconer. Faulconer writes:
The bodies of flesh and bone with which I am familiar do not shine, have blood, cannot hover, can be wounded and die, must move through contiguous points of time-space--in short, they are not at all like the bodies of the Father and the Son. So what does it mean to say that the Father and the Son have bodies? In fact, does it mean anything at all? When I use the word body in any other context, I never refer to something that shines, can hover, is immortal, and moves through space seemingly without being troubled by walls and doors. Given the vast difference between what we mean by the word body in every other case and that to which the word refers in this case, one can legitimately ask whether the word body has the same meaning in this case that it has in the others.
Further, in a passage not quoted by Steve, Faulconer makes this intriguing statement:
I believe that, rather than a positive statement of doctrine, the earliest latter-day discussion of divine embodiment is best understood as a rejection of traditional Christian doctrine concerning God and the metaphysics that makes that doctrine possible and perhaps even necessary. Joseph Smith's most clear statement of God's embodiment comes as part of a denial of Nicean trinitarianism: "That which is without body, parts and passions is nothing. There is no other God in heaven but that God who has flesh and bones" (Teachings 181).
Fauloner's statement has indirect support in history. Joseph is commonly said to have learned of God's corporeal body from the First Vision in 1820. However, the historical record suggests otherwise. Although the exact time line is debated, in the words of Richard Bushman [1],
Joseph's concern about nothingness can also be seen in his views of God. By 1841, he had moved from a traditional Christian belief in God as pure spirit to a belief in His corporeality.
Faulconer notes that we cannot help but imagine what God's body is like by extrapolating from our own experience. Given how little has actually been revealed, it seems to me that it is easy to fill in our ignorance with inference and analogy.

To summarize, the correspondence between the human body and God's body may be a matter of convergence. However, we don't really know much about how God's body works, its properties, or its history. We may therefore be artificially narrowing the parameters of correspondence, making the problem of evolution seem more acute than it actually is.

Notes:

1. Richard Bushman, Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, p. 420. For more information on the development of the doctrine of the Godhead, see Thomas G. Alexander, "The Reconstruction of Mormon Doctrine (PDF)" and James B. Allen, "Emergence of a Fundamental: The Expanding Role of Joseph Smith's First Vision in Mormon Religious Thought." For an alternate view, see Robert L. Millet, "Joseph Smith and Modern Mormonism: Orthodoxy, Neoorthodoxy, Tension, and Tradition" as well as Thomas Alexander's response, "Afterwords."



12 comments:

BrianJ 10/07/2010 12:58:00 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
BrianJ 10/07/2010 12:58:00 AM  

I see the emphasis (without detail) on God's body as being both what Faulconer says---a rejection of traditional Christian metaphysics---and also a way to illustrate the importance that Mormons place on having a physical body: the body is to be admired, cared for, etc.

Joseph Smidt 10/07/2010 01:15:00 AM  

Jared*,

Again very interesting, especially the thoughts on convergent evolution. The fish and dolphin example is great and I would suppose for many people fish are is a "similar" image to dolphins, even though they evolved separately. (At least a child would admit they are similar in images.)

Jeff G 10/07/2010 12:43:00 PM  

While I think that Faulconer's take on God's body is interesting, I don't think it matches very well with Joseph's intent. I think Joseph was trying to make the affirmative point that God is JUST like us and that we are literally His children. His body is different than ours, to be sure, but His body was once exactly like ours, and through our faithfulness our bodies will become just like His.

Jared* 10/07/2010 08:29:00 PM  

Jeff,

I agree that is basically where Joseph was going. Although, I would note that in light of biological advances, the use of the word 'literal,' although common, is at least as problematic as Faulconer's point about 'body.'

Dave C. 10/08/2010 12:50:00 AM  

An interesting subject. I don't know how God created Adam's body, but I am willing to bet that given that there was one possible outcome (like God's body) in shape and form, it was not left to chance and contingency, as you appropriately call it. Assuming for a moment that evolutionary processes can create a bipedal body, there are far too many permutations that may arise for the whole process to have been left to non-purposeful sources of change. Allowing for slight variations in things like nose size and shape, there was just one possible outcome. It had to be like God's. This fact cries out for a divine design interpretation, at least from the perspective of believers.

StevenP 10/08/2010 03:48:00 PM  

Thanks for this Jared*. I'm late to the party, but I really appreciate you taking my work seriously, and also thrilled you are drawing more attention to Jim Faulconer's work which needs more widespread attention. You really did a nice job of bringing out these ideas. But then you always do!

Some of the convergences can be quite striking, like the placental and marsupial versions of the saber-toothed tiger which both preyed on large Pleistocene mammals but both came out of rat-like ancestors. The convergence of the vertebrate and cephlopod (squid) eye are almost identical looking, but come about in completely different ways.

It's funny and sad to watch people committed to not believing evolution actually jump through hoops to deny ways it can work in Mormon theology. To claim without evidence 'it just can't happen that way, because . . . well, it can't.

Those committed to denying the evidence and keeping LDS ways of exploring it marginalized, do harm to those who are committed to engaging in our best science and remain committed to our best restoration thinking. By continually denying the possibility of reconciliation they entrench the idea that Mormonism and Science are incompatible. That does damage in real lives, both in terms of those who never come to the church after reading a wacko's diatribes against evolution, and those who want to pursue science but can't believe their faith allows it.

Jared* I'm grateful you do such a good job of keeping science accurate, without compromising faith. You are a wonderful resource.

Jared* 10/10/2010 12:24:00 AM  

Dave,

"Allowing for slight variations in things like nose size and shape, there was just one possible outcome."

Those seem to me like assumptions imposed by us.

Steve,

Thanks for checking in. (You too, Joseph and BrianJ!)

James 10/15/2010 03:51:00 PM  

Hello, I just found this blog and I enjoyed this post. I'll peruse the blog further and I look forward to future posts.

My great-grandfather (Howard Stutz) was an evolutionary biologist at BYU at the height of controversy about whether such a thing should be taught at BYU. I'm proud that he was a pioneer in that respect, and his dedication to meshing science and religion is a legacy I'm grateful to inherit.

Jared* 10/18/2010 11:21:00 PM  

James,

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the comment. I hope you enjoy what you find here.

Anonymous,  11/04/2010 02:15:00 PM  

Sorry I'm a little late to the party - I just found this blog.

I just had some thoughts to add - what does mean to be in the image of God? Are people born in this life with certain deformities (random mutations) not in the image of God. For instance, someone with extra fingers, a missing arm, etc.

How much of being in the image of god based on physical properties?

CJ

Jared* 11/04/2010 10:46:00 PM  

CJ,

Those are good questions. I don't know the answer.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP